Privacy, Terms and Conditions
All long-term relationships work best when expectations and guidelines are clearly defined from the beginning. If you’ve ever watched “The Big Bang Theory” on TV, you may consider the following The Purple Prose Room’s version of the Sheldon Cooper roommate agreement. It is the mission statement of Harry Buns Productions to not only provide a platform for selling/buying books, but to develop a community based on positivity and mutual respect.
In the following document, PPR references The Purple Prose Room. HBP refers to its owner, Harry Buns Productions. HBP reserves the right to change these terms at any time without prior notice, but will communicate those changes to its registered users.
- Customer purchasing safety is a high priority at PPR, and this is a hosted ecommerce site. However, due to the inherent risk of conducting business on the internet, visitors are expected to exercise due diligence before ordering anything from PPR. Always verify the padlock shows at the beginning of page URLs which initiate and complete purchases. No padlock? Please leave the site immediately. Otherwise, payments are only made through PayPal at this time, and their privacy, terms and conditions will apply for all transactions and financial data breaches.
- Because keeping this site maintained at all times will have direct bearing on protecting the Intellectual Property and income of HBP, every effort will be made to do so. However, HBP cannot guarantee breaches will never happen. In the event someone believes their data has been compromised at PPR, please send the pertinent details to email@example.com. This information will not only be of concern to the site administrator, but also PPR’s host provider.
- If you leave a review on our site you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another review. These cookies will last for one year. If you visit our login page, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser. When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
- If you leave a review, the review and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any new reviews automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue; but the administrator will still require them to the follow community guidelines set forth in clause 19. For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
- If you have an account on this site, or have left reviews, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
- Any analytics collected are primarily for tracking book sales. HBP is not interested in data concerning gender, race, age, political or religious affiliations, and will not discriminate based on any of that information, except in the context of clause 9.
- Registered users of PPR must be 18 years or older in order to purchase anything from this site. HBP publishes books for the adult market. While Featured Author genre books in the young adult category may be available on PPR occasionally and properly identified as such, HBP will not assume the responsibility of parents to verify minors are making approved purchases of age appropriate material. Anyone who participates in a virtual group video event, such as chats with authors, are reminded to be just as careful with their personal information in that format, as they are in any other internet-based activity. HBP requires that anyone participating in such events must do so with a secure connection on a properly protected device. Minors will not be allowed to participate in such events without prior parent/guardian approval.
- All sales of merchandise are final and non-refundable. This is stated on PPR’s product pages. Both customers and financial product providers are expected to abide by this term. Not liking a story is not a reason for a refund. For e-books and audio books, there is no way to confirm a customer no longer possesses the merchandise after receiving a refund. PPR does not sell used merchandise, and due to current public health issues, will not accept the return of print books. Instead, please consider gifting good-condition print copies to library or literacy book fundraisers when those organizations feel comfortable accepting donations again. Any user who cancels a payment after receiving merchandise, both digital and print, will be considered as acting in bad faith. Such action will result in being banned from further use of PPR, and a complaint will be filed with the financial product provider that their customer has violated the stated terms of this site. Payment cancelation of digital versions will also result in revocation of any remaining downloads.
- Due to a broad variety of device types and the ages of said devices, HBP cannot make any guarantees concerning the appearance and functionality of PPR. It is understood anyone using this site has their own measures in place to protect their devices from malicious internet/wireless activity, and keep them updated for maximum operation. There are elements of internet and wireless services beyond the control of HBP and its host provider. Servers and wireless transmission devices throughout IT infrastructures belong to more than one entity. Unusually high volumes of traffic can affect the functionality of such equipment, slowing speeds and increasing the likelihood of corrupting data.
- HBP cannot guarantee digital books will always download properly for the above reason. The book downloads available on PPR are tested, and customers are given the opportunity to download books in their folders up to five times. In the event a download is slow, resulting in a corrupted file, HBP recommends waiting a while before making further attempts. If all five downloads fail, there is a resolution in place. Verified digital book purchases from PPR are required to send screenshots of download error messages and/or the damaged “book” to firstname.lastname@example.org , if you are able to open the file. HBP will send you a one-time link from MediaFire allowing you to access a replacement file. Replacement files for Featured Author books will be available for one month after their tenure, unless the author chooses to extend availability on PPR. The same rules apply as they do for the works of Kristal R. DeJong, who owns HBP & PPR. The ability to download more than one copy is provided as a courtesy, allowing customers to replace a damaged file or re-download if they replace an electronic device. They are not additional free copies which may shared or distributed in any way.
- This site sells reflowable EPUB e-books. The only devices/apps they won’t work on directly are those which operate on the MOBI platform, which is the proprietary software of one corporation. Most other reading apps which can be found for free in app stores support EPUBs. Fixed EPUBs and PDFs, electronic versions of the print book, are available by request only, unless demand warrants them being placed in the PPR catalog. Since they are best suited for use on larger tablets and computer screens, they aren’t as popular as reflowable files. Those wishing to purchase a fixed e-book will receive a PayPal invoice from HBP. Once the payment is authorized, the customer will receive a one-time link from MediaFire to download their book. If a replacement copy becomes necessary due to a damaged file, screenshots will be required, and HBP will use its payment data history to confirm it is a verified purchase before sending anything. Purchase of a new device also qualifies for receipt of a new file as long as the file download limit is not maxed out. Just like books downloaded directly from PPR’s store, those purchasing fixed files will receive five opportunities to replace files as needed.
- HBP and PPR will not knowingly ship damaged merchandise. Some shipping options include insurance up to a certain dollar amount. Their terms of service specify the limit. Your tracking number will be required if your print book order was damaged in transit, and they must be contacted first if you receive damaged merchandise. After you’re compensated by the carrier, PPR’s ability to provide a replacement in a timely manner will be dependent on current inventory. The print inventory of PPR is affected by the turn-around times of its POD producer, and currently HBP has no plans to keep large quantities on hand. If a book is on back-order, interested parties may wish to pre-order their copies. If a book is on back-order, interested parties may wish to pre-order their copies. HBP’s ability to provide order updates will be dependent upon communication from the printer, but once a shipment is in the possession of HBP, pre-orders will receive a notice containing shipping information & a tracking number if the customer selected a method which includes one.
- HBP can only resolve purchase issues which arise at PPR. It cannot help with problems which may occur from purchasing the print version elsewhere, including from sites which are listing discounted used copies the day a book is newly released. Established retailers might make any print books they have in their inventory available for a sale price. It is the purchaser’s responsibility to verify they are in fact the ones fulfilling orders.
- The works available for sale on PPR are protected by registered copyrights, for both the cover images and book contents. Those rights are not included in the sale of any books listed on this site. Being available on the internet does not make them public domain, and they may not be reproduced in any manner, including printing or file sharing, without the express prior written permission of the individual who owns the rights. The same also applies for the contents of PPR itself. All background images used on this site are the work of HBP, not stock images. They are part of HBP’s branding and may not be used elsewhere. This is indicated by the copyright notice in the footnote of every PPR website page. Other websites found using images or copied text from PPR will be asked to remove them. Anyone found violating the copyrights of PPR, and HBP will be subject to legal action for damages, such as lost revenue, or customer confusion over the legitimacy of PPR due to unauthorized use of its contents.
- Because HBP and Kristal R. DeJong own PPR as their retail outlet, and the means to create subscription programs in the future; they will not be allowing early publication releases anywhere else or placing their digital books on other paid subscription services on a regular basis. The digital books may appear on some sites created solely for marketing purposes, but will not be in wide distribution. Discounted prices of books, both in digital and print, available in the PPR store, are the only sales authorized directly by HBP. Any site other than PPR, listing Kristal R. DeJong’s digital books in their products, will only be doing so for limited time offers being presented by HBP. Those offers will be made known to the public. Otherwise, HBP reserves the right to pursue criminal and civil penalties wherever they apply in unauthorized situations, due to the implication of theft from PPR.
- HBP does believe in supporting other independents, such as book stores. Books published by HBP are assigned ISBNs and registered with Bowker’s Books in Print, making them visible to retailers and libraries. Wish to audition a book for free? Public libraries are still the best and safest way to do so. Patronages are free to the communities they serve. As a charitable service to public libraries and their patrons, HBP and PPR has a Little Lending Library service available for the intellectual products in its catalogs. The works available for checkout at any given time are at the discretion of HBP. To participate in the program, libraries are required to send their non-profit credentials to HBP. Once that information is on file, they will be given one-time-use codes which they may provide to patrons who wish to borrow a work from PPR. The same check-out time period a library offers for books will apply, and the clock starts ticking the moment the code is applied in PPR’s check-out cart. Shorter works, like Podcasts, will allow access to the file for 48 hours. HBP is a legitimate and established publishing business. It is an entity which is required to collect retail sales tax for the State of Texas. Libraries wishing to add print copies to their collections may purchase them from HBP. Those who have already submitted their non-profit credentials for the LLL program will not be required to submit it again to waive sales taxes. If demand warrants it, HBP will create an ordering system separate from PPR, available to libraries only. In the meantime, email is an acceptable means of communication, and written inquiries can be mailed to: Harry Buns Productions P.O. Box 1196 Spring, TX 77383-1196 email@example.com
- Purchases made directly from PPR are not necessary to participate in its special events, Tea with Friends community page, or to receive future discount offers and bonus content. Special events will be promoted first on PPR, before they are released on social media. Advanced notification, additional details for those events, special offers and bonus content will only be available through the monthly newsletter sent to users on the Mailchimp mail list. HBP will not make the assumption it has permission to send email communications to any registered user not on the newsletter list. Purchases made directly from PPR are also not required to leave book reviews, which means those who have borrowed one of its works through a library or purchased elsewhere are not excluded. However, the following clause applies in all cases.
- While it has some social media aspects, PPR is in fact a retail business, providing it the same rights as any other privately-owned entity. Tradition blogging is not the purpose of PPR. Therefore, it will not be relying upon likes or comments to improve its rankings in WordPress, nor allow its book review feature to be used as a free means to promote other businesses of any kind, including book bloggers not affiliated with HBP. Regardless of purchase history, anyone wishing to leave a review must be a registered user. All reviews are prescreened for spam and website links included in them will be checked by the administrator before being made public. Star rankings must include a review of the books available on PPR only and are required to stay on topic. Spoilers are also forbidden. HBP respects the right of others to express an honest opinion in book reviews posted on PPR, or participation in conversations on the Tea with Friends page. It values the time invested in writing reviews and member participation; but it will not tolerate abusive language or speculation concerning the personal beliefs of featured authors, site members or HBP. It is just that, speculation and nothing more. Anyone who makes accusations for the express purpose of destroying the reputations of PPR, HBP, featured authors or other site members not only risk being banned from PPR, they will be held liable for such behavior on all social media platforms in relation to PPR. The goal of HBP’s mission statement is to nurture friendships, and none of the behaviors banned on, or in relation to PPR, will ever accomplish this goal. Instead, they create division and resentment. HBP will base its legal actions on the assumption that anyone behaving in such a manner is doing so purely for their own economic gain.
- Any advertising permitted on this site will be done on a “Meet Your Small Business Neighbors” page created specifically for that purpose, and in the newsletter. Any small business interested in such advertising is encouraged to contact HBP. A contract detailing ad sizes, prices, approval deadlines and duration of campaign is available upon request. HBP does have the capability to offer an affiliate program for bloggers or other influencers. When ready to do so, it will make announcements through various communication channels, though those who have made the effort to establish a relationship beforehand, will receive first priority when the application process is activated.
- Any claims of damage or harm, which users believe resulted from PPR, will be resolved by arbitration through a mediator chosen by HBP. Those lodging a complaint requiring arbitration will be expected to pay half of the rate. Please be aware the complexity of a case will affect the amount of time required to reach a resolution. Decisions made by the arbitrator will be binding for both HBP and the complainant.